Huntington, WV asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Kentucky

Q: Can my younger sister (14) come and live with my husband and I?

My sister currently lives with our mother in KY while I live in WV. Our mother is not physically abusive anymore but is still very verbally and mentally abusive. Their house is frequently covered is animal feces and vomit, no clean clothes or showers unless she comes to my house. I called CPS and the police in the past because our mother threatened to harm my sister if I didn't do something she wanted. Police said she was "having a tough time" and told me to only call 9-1-1 for "real emergencies" . It was not the first or last time I've called CPS/cops on her for doing similar things. They say because there is running water and power they can't do anything. I was told by CPS that since my sister wasn't physically hit, they will not do anything about the verbal/mental abuse. Is there anything I can do? Is she allowed to come and live with me? I've tried talking our mother into letting her live with me, but she won't because then she says she'll loose her HUD/housing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Unfortunately, no.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.