Dallas, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Tenant delinquent on rent, water pipes burst does the landlord have to fix?

This is in reference too:

Texas Property Code Sec. 92.052 Landlord’s Duty to Repair or Remedy

(a) A landlord shall make a diligent effort to repair or remedy a condition if:

(1)the tenant specifies the condition in a notice to the person to whom or to the place where rent is normally paid;

(2)the tenant is not delinquent in the payment of rent at the time notice is given; and

(3)the condition:

(A)materially affects the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant; or

(B)arises from the landlord’s failure to provide and maintain in good operating condition a device to supply hot water of a minimum temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does ALL conditions a (1) (2) and (3) have to be TRUE for the landlord to have duty to make the repair?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes, it appears to be. This remedy involves more than just these subpoints. I believe there are three additional requirements that need to be also met as well as some other code sections that flesh out what "notice" means.

I am not sure if you are the landlord or the tenant here, but in either situation, I would suggest reaching out to a local attorney before attempting this on your own. This is quite a complicated remedy. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.