Barberton, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Do I need a lawyer from Ohio to represent me?

In the recent years my children have lived with their father as he has sole custody of them due to circumstances in my past. However, 3 years have passed and I am capable to take care of my children however their father seems unwilling to let me get custody. I am prepared to go to court but I reside in Wisconsin whereas they reside in Ohio. If I find an attorney, which state do I need to find one in? I was looking for family law attorneys in the county I reside in but recently I learned attorneys can only practice where they are licensed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cathy Cook
Cathy Cook
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Normally, you would file in the state where the divorce occurred. If that was Wisconsin, the father may get it moved to Ohio because that is where the children are and where any custody investigation should occur. If it was a state neither of you live in now, you file in Ohio where the children are.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.