Georgetown, TX asked in Adoption and Family Law for Texas

Q: How do I change my child’s name if I do t know who the father is?

The man I thought was my child name is not the father. Paternity test confirmed that and he left . I am in a relation an that man has raised my child since he was approximately 5 months old. How do I change my sons name. If I do not know who the father is. I traced the time line and only came up with a one night stand and I didn’t even know the person name. I have filed with the cour to change his name, but they said something about serving the father papers. But I don’t know who that is. What and how do I proceed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The court will likely want to appoint what is known as a publication attorney for the unknown father. Some courts will require you to file a motion for that and pay that attorney's fee.

Courts are not allowed to give you legal advice. So, you will have to research how to do it or you will need to hire an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.