Houston, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: Child Support - Medical Expenses

I live in Texas - I have a friend who's ex-wife just popped up and said that he needed to pay 5 years of back medical expenses. I believe the ex-wife carries the daughter on her insurance since it was better originally. These would be additional medical expenses that he was completely unaware of. Is there a limit that the OAG goes by in terms of time frames to submit this information over to the other parent? Will he be liable to pay half of all of the expenses within the five years? Considering he is just now finding out about these? It is in their agreement that he covers 50% of additional medical cost outside of his court order.


1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: He needs to read his order to see what it says about giving notice to the other party of the expense owed. If the requirements in order were not followed he will need to make that argument to the court. The OAG is not going to argue anything on his behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.