Union City, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Kentucky

Q: Paying off old house mortgage. How can I give the title to the City in Kentucky?

I bought the house from my parents years ago. The foundation has become unsafe and I am not fixing it. The house was built in the 1900's. I am paying off the mortgage in June and do not want the house. Can I give the title to the city in Kentucky, even if they do not want it? If not, what are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: If you are paying the mortgage note, then why throw the money away? List the property for sale now. You should get some offers, quick. It may still be a loss, but you should recoup something and will probably make a profit, and have to pay capital gain taxes. If the taxes are not paid, there will be a tax sale.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.