Philadelphia, PA asked in Insurance Defense for Pennsylvania

Q: If an auto insurance company sues me, will my auto insurance company cover those costs or do I?

I was in an automobile accident last year and I was deemed at fault. The other driver's insurance company paid to have the other driver's car fixed and is now suing me to pay them back for those costs. Will my insurance company cover those costs or will I need to pay the other insurance company myself out of pocket?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the amount of damages to the other car exceeds your property damage coverage on your insurance policy, you will be responsible for the excess amount. For example, if your property damage limits were $10,000 and the repairs to the other vehicle were $12,000, your insurance will pay the $10,000 and you will be responsible for the balance. Often insurance companies will start by demanding this amount from you in writing, and then file suit against you to recoup it. Don't ignore this - it can ultimately result in the suspension of your driver's license. If you had sufficient insurance coverage on the date of the accident, you need to notify them of the lawsuit immediately and yes, they will provide a defense. I hope that helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.