Tampa, FL asked in Election Law and Employment Discrimination for Florida

Q: How can I get the work I did for and get paid? I just want what was offered to me, what I worked for.

My husband and I moved to Tampa because one of his friends was opening a restaurant, he offered him a partnership, but after us working for almost two months, he gave both of us a W2. Then we realized it was never his intention to treat us as equals. The biggest problem is me, he told me that he would pay me for all the hours I worked in February and March, plus the web service design, which he has the invoices, and only paid once so far. I was forced to claim unemployment because till now, he didn't give me anything, his answer was: you will get compensated don't worry. He gave me the clock in number after two days of the opening so he cut down 16 hours of work from my paycheck, plus he made me clock out one day because "he didn't know how to pay me" I told him, service as a web designer is a service, you don't have to pay me that as hours worked. So right now I'm missing 24.5 hours from my paycheck, the agreed salary was $16 per hour so he put $14 in my paystub and gave me $124.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mitchell Feldman
Mitchell Feldman
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should be paid for all hours worked and at rates which are both consistent with the FLSA, and florida wage law and per any contractual promise. You have rights. Find a wage and hour lawyer or reach out to us. Most wage and hour employees, employment lawyers will be glad to review all of this and provide free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.