Asked in Divorce and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: NJ college tuition as part of child support

We have an MSA codified when we were in Virginia but divorced in NJ where we both currently live. I’m concerned my ex wife will try to take me to court to use NJ law/precedent to make me pay college tuition after child support ends. 1. Is she likely to win in NJ court even if we have an MSA from Virginia? 2. If likely, can I establish residency in another state to avoid this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont think my answer will come as a big surprise to you. You need to sit down with an experienced family law attorney to review the terms of your agreement and any court orders entered in your matter ( in Virginia and in New Jersey) to determine how a court would address the issue if presented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.