Grand Junction, CO asked in Real Estate Law, Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: How do I protect my house from a squatter?

I have a squatter in my house invited by my daughter-in-law who is growing marijuana in their bedroom. They have changed the locks and installed a deadbolt without consulting me, the owner. It is in a tent with lights and a fan hooked to a extension cord and I'm worried about a fire while they're gone during the day. They refuse to even give me a key so there is no way to get in the room in an emergency. I'm in the process of evicting them but according to them it's their domain and there's nothing I can do. Also, there are minors in the house, as well and I'm concerned I can get into trouble about the marijuana growing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Outside of cutting off utilities, you will need a competent attorney to file an Eviction Suit to remove the unwanted occupant. It will not be fun and your house will be damaged. You might open the door with a crowbar and remove contraband. But again hire an attorney. It may be necessary to evict the three of them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.