Red Lion, PA asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania

Q: My boss is harassing me. I am a union member, she isn’t, my workplace hasn’t held her accountable. What can I do?

My boss has been harassing me about personal things that have nothing to do with work. She confronts and attacks me on the job about personal things, she also texts me off the clock about those things. I’m union and she isn’t, and I’ve complained before but she never seems to be held accountable for her actions. I’d like to know if I could sue her for harassment as well as the company for a hostile work environment which they’ve done nothing about. It was suggested I could change departments, but I’m not the one with the issue so I feel I shouldn’t have to do that just because she isn’t able to be professional. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Unless she is harassing you because of your status in a protected class (i.e., race, ethnicity, disability, etc.) or the harassment is sexual in nature, there is likely no legal recourse. If that is the case, it sounds like your best option may be to move departments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.