Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: I believe there was false statements made about me back in 2010 after loosing my job,is there something i can do now

I believe im still being pursued because of this by the authoritys

Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde answered on Jan 14, 2020

When you say you are being pursued, do you mean there is a warrant for your arrest? You can check this on the UJS portal. 8 years is a long time to leave a case open unless the allegations are very serious. You should have a confidential consultation with a defense attorney. They should be able... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Libel & Slander and Medical Malpractice for Pennsylvania on
Q: My husband is being told that he must be transferred to a scaled nursing facility

Due to something that was advocated and found in his blood work. I looked up the regulations and personally called the companies myself. And they are stating that isn’t the case and the hospital did not even try to put an authorization in to obtain that particular service. What rights does he... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 4, 2019

Contact the hospitals patient advocate and your family doctor.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: My father's girlfriend is telling people I'm on drugs, which is a lie. Is there a case for slander at all?

She's telling my fiance's employers/co-workers and close friends of ours. There is a chance this could harm my fiance's job.

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Feb 2, 2019


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: cops have continuosly falsely reported to cyf there was a drug lab in my home when therewas that illegal to do???

the police raided my house and charged me w various narcotics crimes .none of which are even related to having an methamphetamine labortory.but they repeatedly and are continuoously are reporting to cyf that in fact there was a meth lab in my home in an attempt to have my son taken away from... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Oct 22, 2018

If true, then yes, you could probably file section 1983 litigation against them in federal court.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Pennsylvania on
Q: Mr xxx. 26 yr old, went into apt. hes now sick carbon monoxide poisoning mold dampness rust electricity faults

no door on bathroom, light outside to walk down stairs not working extremely dangerous. In the bedroom none of the plugs work.

His furniture and clothes, etc. have been made unusable as covered with mold, even his expensive guitar.

I really do not think the health department... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 4, 2018

He should contact the legal aid /legal services in Pittsburgh; ask for their housing group; if they say they don't handle that ask if any of their attorneys left for private practice. Call that person.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: If someone is harassing some one through text message calling them every name in the book could he/she file slander cha

Charges filed on that person. They live in Florida the other party lives in Pennsylvania

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jul 16, 2018

Slander is a civil action. You're thinking of harassment, which is a criminal charge.

The person receiving the harassing text messages could certainly contact the police department in Florida in the text messager's neighborhood. Will they do anything? No way to know unless you try - but...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: Defense against being accused of slander if it is the truth

My ex uses the legal system to harass me and works as a paralegal for a firm. It is listed on their public website that he graduated from a school that I know for certain is not true. Can I let his employer know that his education is a lie and that he is an ex convict for robbery and has had... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jun 4, 2018

Truth is an absolute defense for slander/libel charges. But can he still sue you and drag your through the court system? Surely, but you would have a defense to his civil lawsuit against you.

Best of luck to you.

2 Answers | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Communications Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can you tell a true story on a podcast, change names and locations and it be legal? Can a teacher do this?

Is this libel if names are not used and locations are not mentioned? What defines Libel?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 26, 2018

Depends on the circumstances. It is not illegal but it could make it a case for libel.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I'm trying to get information on how to obtain an attorney on a pro bono basis?

My nephew is currently being held in the Wyoming County Jail on a ridiculous amount of charges. Neither him, nor my family feel as though his Public Defender is looking out for what's in his best interest, and would like to look into gaining a second opinion regarding his current legal issues.

Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde answered on Sep 21, 2017

Most criminal defense attorneys do not do work on a pro bono basis. Many have surprisingly reasonable rates. Contact a few and see if you can find someone to work with. Alternatively, have your son sit down with his Public Defender and ask questions. A common complaint that I get from people... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: Could my dad file a lawsuit on another person that falsely accused my dad of indecent exposure and was arrested?

My dad was falsely accused of indecent exposure at an Auto Tag place where he was there to pick up his car registration that he been waiting for 3 months now that was not his fault with him waiting that long for it to process at the Auto Tag place.The auto tag owner called the police and lied and... Read more »

William Head
William Head answered on Aug 15, 2017

He would have to show both FALSE allegations, and prove his FINANCIAL damages, and that may be very difficult.

He should at least contact an attorney in PA who handles defamation cases. Go to Super Lawyers site, and look up civil attorneys near his location, who handle slander claims.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was attacked by a store employee I have video of her attacking me am I able to file suit against the worker/store

Video clearly shows her approaching me in a threatening manner shows her pushing me and you can hear me begging her to let me go and to let me leave.

https ://

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 6, 2017

Yes you are from what you say. Contact a member of the Pa. Assn for Justice--we give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was assaulted by my exboyfriend at his job and the video was showed everyone employed at the company

Can I sue for defamation of character,

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 19, 2017

Surprised he's still there. I suggest you contact an attorney who handles these things as the company may be implicated. Less defamation than invasion of privacy. If it was assault, have you captured the video and taken it to the police? Take 'em all down!

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: If a image of me that is detrimental to my reputation and encompasses bullying is posted on social media, can I sue?

I repeatedly asked the source to delete the photo, which I never gave him permission to share, and it is still available for everyone to see. He still refuses to delete the photo and will not take me serious. The photo not only has my full name shown in the image, but also details of the personal... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2017

If you wrote to him on facebook and he put it up, not much you can do. Ask the provider to take it down.

Without knowing what it is, hard to say--but I can tell you suing him will cost you lots of money and time and not get you anywhere.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is there case law where concussions and permanent brain damage extended personal injury statute of limitations ?
Clark Mitchell
Clark Mitchell answered on Feb 5, 2017

The answer is two years from the date of the accident unless you are a juvenile. Then it is two years after you become 18. In a medical malpractice case the statute is two years from the time of the occurrence or two years from the time that you learned the occurrence was a result of medical... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: I need help filing civil suit and received my answer from the agency after the settlement conference.

I received no instruction or guidance. The whole time the case has been done in bad faith. Offering only to expunge my record is not enough for a case that was never investigated. And nothing supports his allegations. I had a representative however I believe there may have been a conflict of... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 25, 2017

If you have an attorney and they are working your case and only get paid if they get money for you, they have a substantial investment in seeing they get paid so they will do what has to be done, so I'd recommend staying with them. Understand

that not every case of retaliation can be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: If you are 13, can you sue a 14 year old for bullying? (lying that there was a knife in my locker twice, I hit her, etc)

I haven't done anything physical, but I have said some good comebacks and give her nasty looks, and talked about what she did to me to my friends that she is also bullying to get to me. she doesn't have any evidence against me. But she has her friends lying to defend me.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 20, 2017

Good you are looking for solutions but suing her is very cumbersome, very expensive, and may get you nowhere (which would please her). Speak with a counselor. There used to be a group in Pottstown called Fellowship Farm that may be able to give you ideas, as they've done a lot of work on bullying... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander for Pennsylvania on
Q: A staff member at the on-profit housing program that I am with, made false accusations against me. Can you please help

I have been a participant of the program, for the past8 years, and have forwarded my concerns to the staff members, and have been called a "liar", and have been threatened by both the staff members, other participants, and mon participants, when I complained. They still refuse to address my... Read more »

Dennis Hernandez
Dennis Hernandez answered on Oct 12, 2016

I would recommend that you consult an attorney to review the case in more detail.

View More Answers

Q: I need to get sole proprietor to sign a Non-Disparagement clause prior to signing Confidential Disclosure

Consulting for a sole proprietor (softball program) and after being insulted, cursed at, humiliated in front of players, coaches, and peers at our latest showcase, I have been asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement as I expressed my dislike of the circumstance by one of the 3 owners. I have not... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 2, 2016

Given the perhaps idiosyncratic and vindictive personality you outline, using a template may not be enough. You may want to have all sign so it doesn't look like you are singling him out. Suggest you contact a commercial law attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My family and I have a woman who will not leave us alone, this has been going on for over 4 years.

We had to sell our house because of it, shows up at public places where we are, followed my son around our old neighborhood, stops her car and stares at my children if she sees them somewhere, spreads rumors about us, had a very disturbing phone call from her husband, and constantly trying to... Read more »

R. Patrick Link
R. Patrick Link answered on Jul 29, 2016

If true, it sounds like the person could be arrested on charges of harassment (which could be a summary offense or a misdemeanor), or even stalking (which can be graded as a felony). Call the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.