Aguanga, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: A horse hauler drove onto my property, ran over my dog and injured her. I have $1,200+ in vet bills.I want them to pay

I have no affiliation w/ horse hauler. I have a gated entrance and fully fenced property.

Horse Hauler drove onto my property following the owner of the horse they were picking up. They picked up the horse and left without even speaking with me.

I called and asked her to pay for the dogs vet bills, she does not want to take responsibility... she told me to file it on my homeowners insurance. She has told me she didn’t charge the lady to haul her horse and was just doing it as a favor. She stated she does not have insurance to be hauling. She said this was not business for her but the horse was moved to her property and is now boarded there. Ie she receives money for that horses care each month. So it was business.

My dog was imported from Russia. Is a registered AKC Cardigan Welsh Corgi, cost $5,000. Can no longer be shown again as it damaged her face and she will have a permanent limp on her right front.

I breed and show my dogs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can sue in Small Claims court and get a judgment of up to $10k if you prove your damages in that amount. Whether you can collect mostly depends on whether the hauler has insurance that applies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.