West Valley City, UT asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Idaho

Q: How do you change a minors last name

My 10 year old daughter wants to change her last name to her stepfather's. Her biological father has not been in her life since she was 8 months old. We have a child support order against him but he hasnt paid in 7 years. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The fact that her father hasn't had any contact with her since she was 8 months old, DUE TO A NO CONTACT ORDER, against the father, is problematic. The fact that he hasn't paid CS in 7 years is irrelevant to your question. Idaho has a statute regarding name change. It is found in Title 7, Chapter Eight:

7-802. PETITION FOR CHANGE. (1) All applications for change of names must be made to the district court of the county where the person whose name is proposed to be changed resides, by petition, signed by such person, if the person is an adult or an emancipated minor; and if such person is under the age of eighteen (18) years and is not an emancipated minor, by one (1) of the parents or by a guardian. The petition must specify the place of birth and residence of such person, his or her present name, the name proposed, and reason for such change of name.

(2) If the person whose name is proposed to be changed is under eighteen (18) years of age and is not an emancipated minor, the petition must also include the following:

(a) If the petition is signed by only one (1) parent, the petition must specify the name and the address, if known, of the other parent, if living.

(b) If the petition is signed by a guardian of the person, the petition must specify:

(i) The name and address, if known, of the parent or parents of the person, if living; or

(ii) If both parents are deceased or their addresses are unknown, the names and addresses of the grandparents of the person, if living.

If the father feels like his access to his daughter has been thwarted, he will respond to a Petition for Name Change, and you will have a fight on your hands. If he does not respond, you won't have any difficulty changing her name to her step-father's. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.