Pittsville, MD asked in Uncategorized for Maryland

Q: I got people saying telling others that I’m watching kids when I’m bmxing in a public park

A guy that doesn’t like me had his wife make a Facebook post about me saying I’m always up at the park hanging out and talking to little kids. And being a creep by bmxing at the park. What can I do to have them stop with this cause I have already been threatened

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the latest incident of theirs occurred within 30 days, you can file for a peace order in the District or Circuit Court based on harassment (a persistent pattern of unwanted contact intended to seriously annoy another), but the specific actions may or may not meet the legal standard for harassment. You may want a lawyer to review more of the facts and help you draft the factual basis for that petition. A peace order can be entered for up to 6 months, and violation of its terms is a criminal offense. In order for a court to issue a peace order, the petition must be filed within 30 days of the last act that supports issuance of the order. Alternatively, you can have a lawyer write a cease and desist letter to the people making the posts, and outline the legal actions you may pursue if they do not cease their postings, such as a civil suit seeking damages for defamation of character (libel), a peace order, or other applicable actions. You may also report the postings to Facebook or other social media providers as violations of their terms of service and request that they be removed and the accounts suspended, assuming they meet that criteria.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.