Norwood, MA asked in Employment Law for Massachusetts

Q: I own some rental properties that I manage myself. From time to time I need an extra hand to do routine chores

as lawns, hedges, painting minor repairs..... This entails 20-30 hrs per month. How do I pay this person if I direct his activities, He does not live in one of the units.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Hi, more information is needed here. Generally speaking you will need to make sure the person at least the federal and state minimum wage for all hours worked. As well as overtime for hours worked over 40 in a workweek. I would reach out to an employment law attorney in your state for a consultation regarding this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.