North Bergen, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: How can a company garnish my wages twice?

I moved out of a apartment complex 6 years ago because they had bed bugs and would only do one apartment at a time and the bed bugs will travel,

So 4 years later they garnish my wages for $700+ now they are garnishing me again for the same amount they took my $799 deposit when I moved.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In Virginia, the law that effects the garnishment of wages and/or bank account has a set period of 180 days before the matter goes to court. If the full amount of the judgment is not satisfied by the initial garnishment, the judgment creditor has the right to file a second garnishment to seek the remaining balance of the judgment balance. This can go on for several additional garnishments until the full amount of the judgment balance is paid in full and thus satisfied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.