Asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: What recourse do I have?

My husband and I married four years ago and bought a home/mini-farm almost two years ago. Large home on 4 acres with chickens, ducks, dogs. This Monday, without giving me any warning, he signed a lease on a new place to live, took a few things with him and left. No heads up to prepare me that I would have to pay all of the bills. No heads up that I will have to care for the farm myself. Will not reply to texts or emails. Blocked me on 'Find My Friends" and will not share his new address. The remainder of all of his belongings (furniture, clothes, camping gear, LOTS of tools) is still in the home. He now claims that since he move out, he does not have any obligation to mortgage/utilities or to provide care for farm animals we purchased together. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dymond  Spain
Dymond Spain
  • Fayetteville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Hello,

It sounds like you may have a claim for Equitable Distribution (property division) and Spousal Support. You will have to prove that you are the dependent spouse in order to be granted spousal support, but because you have physically separated and ended the relationship you can proceed with pursuing the claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.