Lancaster, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: My daughter and my dog were attacked by another dog in the neighborhood.

My daughter was attended by paramedics and her injuries were not serious but she is bypolar and was very affected mentally. Our family dog was seriously injured and has died. A report was filed with animal control. I would like to seek compensation for my dog's vet bills and the loss of our family pet. My daughter is an adult and I don't know if she needs to file a separate case seeking compensation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your daughter has a good case against the owner of the dog. You have a case to recover your vet bills from the owner of the dog. Hopefully the owner has homeowner's insurance that applies. Your daughter, especially, needs to consult with a personal injury attorney. This is far too complex to handle on her own. She should not give statements to anyone except police or Animal Control.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.