Fort Smith, AR asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Arkansas

Q: Got hurt at work I am a medical marijuana patient can I get fired

2 Lawyer Answers
Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Thanks and you cannot be fired simply for being a medical marijuana patient if you are in a position that hasn’t been designated as safety sensitive. In other words, if the type of job you do hasn’t been listed in writing as no medical marijuana because it is safety sensitive, an employer can’t later fire you just because of medical marijuana. You should reach out to an employment law attorney for more

Tim Rose and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

Tim Rose
Tim Rose pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Pleasant Grove, UT

A: Your question implies that you are concerned about the marijuana use affecting your right to workers compensation benefits. First, Arkansas allows you to be terminated at will, so, yes, you can get fired. 2. You likely cannot be fired simply for legal marijuana use. 3. Your workers' compensation benefits may be affected due to the marijuana use. If you have concerns about your workers comp benefits, you should contact a local workers compensation attorney as well as an employment attorney if you are fired.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.