Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law for Nevada

Q: What if the child’s mother is continuously breaking the legal agreement/paperwork?

My daughters mother keeps taking her out of state without notifying me, she posts on social media that she’s drinking and I’m worried about my child’s safety. They’re in an unfamiliar area and if she’s intoxicated I don’t want her to be driving my kid around drunk. I’m too far away to be able to help but this isn’t the first time she’s done this. She’s taken my daughter to Utah and California multiple times without letting me know, which is a condition of our custody agreement. She also is withholding my daughter from me. Our paperwork says I get her every weekend yet she only lets me see her every other weekend for the past 6 months. Can she get in trouble for that? I just want to spend time with my daughter and have her mom follow the written court ordered agreement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: She can get in trouble for denying you your court-approved visitation and for endangering the children, if she drinks and drives with them. You need to go to family court - preferably with an attorney- and present that evidence to the court. They will modify the order as they see fit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.