Woburn, MA asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: Can a judge block a division of assets agreement in a divorce if both parties agree whether is seems equitable or not?

My husband wanted to give me the house outright and keep all his pensions/retirement accounts and not pay alimony. It was a 24 year marriage. His lawyer said that a judge would not do that. Can a judge block an agreement if both parties agree to it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Adamopoulos
Anthony C. Adamopoulos
  • Topsfield
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Yes. It is not unusual for a judge to reject a division of assets, especially when the parties or a party is not represented by an attorney.

It looks like you do not have an attorney and it is clear from your question you do not understand the process a judge must go through to approve a separation agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.