Dorchester Center, MA asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Massachusetts

Q: Can I take my employer to court for releasing personal information to outside customers and vendors without my consent?

I recently had a baby prematurely. I shared this information internally with my employer. Within a few hours of sharing, I received an email from a co-worker to a group of customers, (some of which I do not know) detailing not only the birth of my son but also his full name and that he was born prematurely. The email also went on to say that I would be taking paternity leave indefinitely, though I had not had any conversation with my employer as such.

I am wondering what I can do to ensure my employer is held responsible for breaking my privacy and sharing protected health information.

1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: More information is needed to analyze your situation. Is your employer requiring you to take a leave you otherwise are not intending to take? Additionally, there is no private cause of action under HIPPA. Only the Department of Health and Human Services and state attorneys general have the power to enforce HIPAA violations, but you can report your employer's actions. You should contact an employment attorney in your area to discuss the details of your situation and determine your best options moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.