Cranston, RI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: If me and my girlfriend don’t live together, I live in apartment upstairs and my girlfriend lives in apartment downstair

And we have a son together will court make me pay child support even thou we’re together in a relationship???? Why would we need to go to court if we’re together just because living upstairs n down stairs apartment...

1 Lawyer Answer
Carl P. DeLuca
Carl P. DeLuca
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Warwick, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If you're in a separate household the Rhode Island Family Court could order you to pay child support. Usually, it's because the other parent or the state on behalf of the other parent is requesting it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.