Deridder, LA asked in Intellectual Property and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: We have a donation of property that is being revoked. Was presented to us as a legal document by a notary. Now the donee

Wants to revoke saying the witnesses were not present. Her attorney wants us to sign a stipulation saying we agree it’s not valid. We don’t want to sign because this doc has cost us thousands of dollars and would like recourse. We do have a court date...question is can we not sign and let judge grant it stating why...hope this makes sense

2 Lawyer Answers
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you have a court date, then a lawsuit has been filed. You indicate that "...this doc has costs us thousands of dollars and would like recourse." You need to immediately consult with an attorney or 2, and then hopefully hire one to represent you. Good luck.

Marcos Garciaacosta agrees with this answer

A: You need to retain an attorney as fast as you can.

It will depend on the facts the options you have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.