Louisiana Intellectual Property Questions & Answers

Q: Can a grandparent will heir property to a sole child or grandchild?

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for Louisiana on
Answered on Mar 18, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
This is not an intellectual property question, but rather a real property issue, or probate issue. Consider re-posting the question under the correct topic.

Q: What kind of attorney I need to sue Walmart for messing up my car?

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Insurance Defense, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Jun 29, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If you have a receipt make several copies. Never give the original. Get an estimate from a mechanic as to what is needed to fix it.

Q: There was a warrant, not physically given to owner of property as per requested, executed on property was this legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Louisiana on
Answered on Apr 30, 2018
Ellen Cronin Badeaux's answer
You need a criminal attoeney to file a Motion for a Preliminary Hearing

Q: My grandmother in 2012, both died intestate. Can I inherit my dads property if his name is not on my birth certificate?

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Intellectual Property for Louisiana on
Answered on Nov 9, 2017
Morgan Travis Allison's answer
There are other possible ways to prove you are an heir. A DNA test comparing your DNA to one of your dad's siblings might work. Also, witnesses could testify to facts that would suggest he was your father. Did he ever say he was, or act like he was? You would have a better case with a birth certificate, of course, but there may be a chance.

Q: Someone is using my artwork to promote their live show without my permission. Recommendations on course of action?

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Louisiana on
Answered on Oct 7, 2017
Benton R Patterson III's answer
The first step would be to approach them yourself to try to work out a deal. If that doesn't work, try having an attorney contact them on your behalf and explain why they are legally obligated to stop using your work and properly compensate you. If that fails, you could sue them for copyright infringement. If you think you may need to sue, you should register your work with the US Copyright Office so that you may recover monetary damages.

Q: If I sold a tshirt with someone else's picture on it, what is the percentage of sales they would legally be entitled to?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Louisiana on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017
Will Blackton's answer
That answer will depend on a number of factors, but as it relates to intellectual property law, the first question you have to answer before anyone can possibly respond to your question accurately:

Is this a picture you took (or own the rights to) that is of someone else, or is this a picture taken (and owned) by someone else?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.