Fort Worth, TX asked in Social Security for Texas

Q: Disabled son was on SSA. Without notification, they stopped his checks. He has HSP. No cure yet, can someone help him?

He has been disabled since birth, he was on SSI, then he got on SSA, without any letter or any communication , they just stopped his checks, he had no option to appeal this decision. On the SSA site, it said he was no longer disabled. What can he do about this? He lives in Weatherford, Tx

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: He needs to contact his local Social Security office and get them to mail him a copy of the decision. It's possible that they had an old address for him and he did not get his notice. He may also have missed the mail for the case review. He can also call the national toll free number at 800-772-1213 and get more information. They may allow him to file an appeal late. If not, he will need to file a new application. Once he gets a copy of the notice I suggest that he contact a local attorney who does a lot of social security work to see if he can get some assistance in trying to file a late appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.