Navasota, TX asked in Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: If my husband hurts or kills someone when driving drunk, can I be sued? He has own car and own insurance.

I have the papers for divorce. I am hoping he will get help. But he drinks and drives. Even though I have tried to get him to stop, he continues to do it. But I am scared one day he is going to hurt or possibly kill someone. If we are married, can the person or person's family sue me as the spouse? We have no liquor at home. He gets it else where when he does drink.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: While I hope it never comes to this, however, if you live in a community property state and/or you jointly own assets, then it is possible that you could be made a part of a lawsuit seeking to seize assets in which you have an interest. Of course, before this occurs, there would have to be a judgment against your husband and right now, he has not even been in the accident you fear.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.