Nicholasville, KY asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment for Kentucky

Q: If my girlfriend has an open cps case against her parents can they give their parental rights to my grandmother?

She is 16, I am 17, and my grandma has already talked to the social worker and said that would work, but her parents just now decided they would go through with it and I dont know if they will hold onto that. So if they do then how long would it take before my girlfriend lives with my grandma? If they go back on it what can I do? We have tried absolutely everything and no matter what she or I do, the police, cps, everyone tells her that her parents can do what she wants.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.