Sacramento, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Landlord wants to sell the home Im renting. Real estate investor filed for eviction

My Landlord wants to sell the home Im renting from her. The real estate investor who is interested in buying the home first served me with a 30 day notice to "voluntarily" vacate the home. 2 months later the investor interested in buying the home filed an unlawful detainer with the court representing himself as the plaintiff. Is this legal? Shouldnt the Landlord be the one who has to file the unlawful detainer? And if the Real Estate investor was given permission to manage the eviction for her doesnt my landlord still have to be listed as the plaintiff on the paperwork and him as the assistant? Her name is not mentioned anywhere in the unlawful detainer that he served on me. And technically he has not actually purchased the home yet (or at least it has not been recorded with the county records yet if he has).

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Purcell
Jonathan Purcell
  • Licensed in California

A: Reading through your lease may partially illuminate your options.

This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice for any particular case or client. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney. This posting is not intended to constitute an advertisement or a solicitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.