Asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: Can I sell my lot person to person without involving a realtor or lawyer if both parties are in complete agreement?

I own an undeveloped lot in Tulare, CA. and the people who own the lot next to it have wanted to purchase mine for awhile. I have finally decided to sell it because my husband and I have found a lovely house with plenty of acreage in Wisconsin. I have talked with the other lot's owners, quoted them a price, and they are still very interested. I would like to make this as simple a deal as possible without involving extra people and extra fees. The buyers are agreeable to this . How would I go about this and would living in a different state change anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Purcell
Jonathan Purcell
  • Licensed in California

A: Most likely the transaction will require a title company.

Title companies usually have a relationship with an attorney, or an attorney on staff, if needed.

If you and your counter-party have agreed on a price, you should be able to avoid a broker's fee.

Without a broker you will not have the advocacy that a broker provides.

There are differing views on this topic.

This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended nor should be construed as legal advice for any particular case or client. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney. This posting is not intended to constitute an advertisement or a solicitation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.