Asheville, NC asked in Elder Law, Probate and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: How do you locate an Will from 1950's? I've tried finding it, with no luck! I have MS, I can't afford a Lawyer to help!

My Grandmother died in 1950's. She had 1 child, my Father. I've been told, the home had been build by my Grandmother, before my Father was even born.

My Father also died in 1978. My Brother and I are the only living relatives!

Our entire life, we were told her Will stated the home was to be given to our Father & his heirs, never to taken from her family!

Our Grandfather's & his 3rd wife (which died yrs prior to him!), had stated for yrs, their Will's were not to be changed! His home were to go to his only Grandchildren! Her home, land were to go to her Children and Grandchildren! When she passed! Her home & land, were given as stated!

Our Grandfather died in 2007, while in a nursing home at 92 yrs old! Shortly prior to his passing, his Step Children had him sign a new Will, changing EVERYTHING! Writing my Brother & I totally out! Leaving EVERYTHING to them!

At that age & state of that legal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: A will is not valid if the testator lacked capacity at the time or if it was the product of undue influence. You can contest the will if you think that is what happened but you must act quickly or you will lose any rights you might have had. Look for a probate or will contest attorney in the vicinity of where the decedent had lived when he passed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.