Florissant, MO asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Missouri

Q: Could I sue for more money after a job I quit has yet to pay me

It has been 2 months since working there and they haven’t payed nor do they do the mangers or store answer there phone

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Hello, employers are required to pay in accordance with federal overtime and minimum wage laws. If you weren't paid at all, or a portion of your pay was withheld, you may have a minimum wage violation claim. If you worked overtime during the period, you may have an overtime claim as well. I would reach out to an employment law attorney in your state for a consultation.

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Missouri has an unpaid-wages statute that may be of use. If you sent a proper request for your unpaid wages and are not then paid, you may sue to collect wages past due plus wages going forward up to 60 days from termination. That's an extra two months of pay. Confer with a Missouri attorney who knows Missouri Revised Statutes concerning unpaid wages and failure to pay minimum wage. If you weren't paid at all for certain hours, you could sue for not being paid minimum wage on those hours as well.

Some attorneys handle these type of cases on a percentage basis so you won't have to pay for an attorney's time. Contact a Missouri attorney this week.

Ronald J. Eisenberg

Schultz & Associates LLP

640 Cepi Drive, Suite A

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Direct: (636) 733-6647

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.