Smithtown, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: I had a Pende lite with an Order to Show Cause granted by the Supreme Court Judge overseeing my divorce.

The court date the Judge gave is July 12. One of the emergency conditions was having my husband pay my legal fees. The others were Temporary Maintenance for me and my son. I am in a terrible position as a was never granted any form of financial relief or any other assistance from the old judge and the driest attorney. Do I have to wait until July 12 to get what the Judge granted?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It sounds as if a motion for pendete lite relief was filed. What that means is that you are asking for all of those things but they have not yet been granted. Unfortunately, the courts are still working on limited schedules due to the pandemic so you will have to wait until July to see what happens. Keep in mind, that it is unlikely that you will get a decision on the motion on July 12 as the Judge has at least 60 days to make a decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.