Dedham, MA asked in Traffic Tickets for Massachusetts

Q: Why would a dismissed speeding violation still appear on RMV website as money owed?

State Trooper didn't show up to either hearing and was dismissed by judge at second hearing. This was 2 years ago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Most likely it was communicated wrong from the Court or someone else possibly used your name/ID and had another ticket. It is possible that you didn't pay the appeal fee as well and that is what is owed. If you defaulted on a speeding ticket your license would not be renewed until it was cleared up.

You need to get a copy of your MA license record and see if it is the same ticket. If it is, then you need to go to the Court, in person if possible, and get a copy/abstract of that ticket hearing. Usually when you leave the hearing the Court clerk will give you a copy of the result. Even if the clerk's papers aren't still there after 1 year, the Court recording of the hearing with the judge will be and that will be the evidence that it was submitted incorrectly. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.