San Antonio, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: How does child support payments work when your staying at home to care for my daughter with an illness?

I lost my job due to having to stay home to care for my four year old daughter recently diagnosed with epilepsy. I have always paid for child support for my two older children and unemployment denied me because my old job instead of firing me put I quit showing up. Which is true, I had to care for my daughter in the hospital. I’m staying home but my wife is still employed she is covering our bills. I’m currently homeschooling her, my question is what can I do about the child support? I can’t leave my daughter in child care due to her condition and have no family to watch her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact the child support office and tell them your situation. Tell them you need to modify or abate your child support.

Please note that if you are unemployed you are still responsible for paying some amount of child support. However, you may be able to get it lowered to the amount of a person that makes minimum wage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.