Durant, OK asked in Consumer Law for Oklahoma

Q: I have a remaining balance of 1,400 on signature lone and I can’t pay on it anymore what do I do

I have medical things that need done but can’t even afford the copays

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you are so far in debt and your income is limited you have an absolute right to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy (8 yr between bankruptcy filings). I have a cut off of around $10,000 in debt as when a person really needs to follow up with bankruptcy. If you do not pay they sue you and garnish your wages or lien your real estate. You can not pay and run/hide . Or you can try to come up with a lump sum and negotiate a flat lump payment. Sometimes it has to get over to the collection agency to get this to work. Remember no option will keep your credit rating from plummeting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.