Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I need to find out how I go about getting guardianship of my grandson because my daughter needs to go to treatment.

My daughter is in Arizona I am in Texas.

The father is on the birth certificate and he is also on hard drugs. My goal is just to help my grandson and keep them safe. I need to get something legally binding so his father cannot come to Texas and take him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Brown
Elaine Brown
  • Dripping Springs, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Parents generally have superior rights to grandparents. A court order is necessary to obtain custody rights over the child. A party seeking conservatorship is required to serve both parents with a petition and ask the Court to award conservatorship. An affidavit may be obtained from a parent allowing the caretaker to make certain decisions for the child, but that would not prevent the other parent from coming and taking the child if he chose to do so unless there is a Court order.

This information is provided for educational purposes only and does not create an attorney and client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.