Farmington, MI asked in Products Liability and Collections for Michigan

Q: My brother cosigned for a vehicle

He was summons today for the remaining balance of the vehicle. It was sold after repossession at an auction. I am responsible for the debt and I want to take care of it. He has a family and I don't want to create a financial hardship on him. Can I respond to the summons asking the court to remove from the liability and that I will take over the debt by making monthly payments?

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: He has to respond. He can ask to substitute you, but as you defaulted which is why they are going after him, they may say "naaaah--we want him!"

Now, they may agree to make a payment schedule but before he signs off, is the group coming after him the same people you signed a loan with? If not, they have to show an assignment--he has a defense to make "hey, I cosigned with __________________, no offense but how can I trust you are them or that you properly were assigned the debt? " There are certain things that have to happen to assign a debt to another company, and companies process thousands of these and often make mistakes or ignore the requirements of the assignement property. If you have no money see if you can speak with a legal aid attorney who handles consumer issues.

David Soble
David Soble
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Cosigners essentially act as guarantors of a debt when one codebtor defaults on the underlying debt obligation. I doubt you can remove your brother's obligation as he was a cosigner, but you can make the proposal to your creditor to pay back your back loan payments under a settlement or forbearance agreement. Your creditor doesn't care where the money comes from, provided that payments are made as agreed. For more information on this topic, visit

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.