Deltona, FL asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: I quit claimed a property from my LLC to my partnership LLC but did not record it. Is it legal?

I need to refi the partnership property but can't due to lien on the LLC still shown on county records as owner. My attorney says since I didn't record quut claim its not legal but everything I read says it is. Is it?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The execution (signing/notarizing) of a deed legally effectuates the transfer, and the recording of the deed is to put the world on notice of the transfer. When it comes to liens, the order of recording can determine the priority of the liens. Ask your attorney to fully explain to you, and or show you, the law that supports his opinion, and if you're not sure about that opinion, schedule a consultation with another attorney to obtain a second opinion. This is not the type of inquiry that can result in reliable advice on-line, as an attorney must examine the documents and the facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.