Lanham, MD asked in Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: Can a 4th degree burglary charge in Maryland be expunged?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you received probation before judgment, it can be expunged three years after the entry of the PBJ assuming that your probation has ended by that time.

Under a new law, a conviction can be expunged 10 years (pretty sure it is 10 years, but would need to check the statute) from the completion of your sentence/end of probation.

Daniel Joseph White
Daniel Joseph White
  • Leonardtown, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you were found guilty of one of these charges you may request an expungement no less than fifteen (15) years after the guilty conviction or the satisfactory completion of the sentence, including probation, whichever is later:

assault in the second degree,

violation of an interim peace order,

failure to comply with a protective order,

felony theft,

possession with intent to distribute or dispense a controlled dangerous substance, or

burglary in the first, second or third degree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.