Irving, TX asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Texas

Q: Can I take money from my girlfriends account without her permission if i have a right to the money and access to accoun

We lived together for a year and she took out a ppp loan under my company. And has all funds in her accountand holds it iver my head. I have access to accounts. But have not been told I can touch the money. Nor have i been told no i want to take some and get out this relationship. Is the matter civil or criminal of i take a couple grand and move on?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Boe Lynn Bowen
Boe Lynn Bowen
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is a complicated issue that can go several different ways. Just because you have access does not mean you have rights to access. By your own admission you do not have permission to touch the money. She may say you exceeded the scope of the access granted.

On the other hand you have access as a signer and you are recovering your personal property. If you were yo recover nothing more you may be ok.

There are more details that are needed to truly advise. The above is not a recommendation to do either. I encourage you speak with an attorney before doing anything.

Kiele Linroth Pace agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The problem is that you could be arrested and charged with a crime. If that happens, a proper defense will cost much, MUCH more than a "couple grand." The cheaper your defense, the more likely you will be convicted, potentially of a felony. If you win a criminal case, the prosecution won't pay your legal fees... they won't even apologize.

Consider talking to an attorney who handles business law or civil litigation cases about simply suing her for the money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.