Bronx, NY asked in Personal Injury for New York

Q: Hello I have a personal injury case that’s in the stp part ! The judge denied summary judgement that the defendant filed

Then defendant filed appeal judge still denied appeal ! Now there’s something filed by court that says remitturr! There was no trial yet ! How can judge reduce award or verdict when there was no trial yet?????? We have not went to trial as of yet but the last entry by court was remitturr I don’t understand please help ! For the court to make an remitturr entry Didnt there have to be an award of some sort ?? Please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I think you posted this question a few days ago. Remittitur is the process by which the Court reduces a jury's verdict. If your case never went to trial (either in front of a judge or a jury) then there would arguably be no verdict for the Court to reduce. Assuming you are representing yourself and do not have an attorney, you might want to speak with the STP clerk who can better advise you on the status of your case and what its last entry means.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.