Goodyear, AZ asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: I am applying for my citizenship, i have been LPR for 7 years now, divorced. i had a criminal history?

I have green card for 7 years now, I had a criminal history- Felony theft in 2011, charges that changed to a misdemeanor then setaside or expunged back in 2014. Immigration is aware of the charges since it happened before I obtained my green card-LPR. Do I need to mention the charges again on my citizenship?, will this affect my eligibility to get the citizenship. I have no charge or criminal history for the last 7 years. Do I need to get certified copies of the charges to provide with my citizenship application. please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: You will have to disclose the criminal history in your citizenship application. It can affect your eligibility because one of the requirements for naturalization is good moral character (GMC). An applicant for naturalization must show that he or she has been, and continues to be, a person of good moral character. In general, the applicant must show GMC during the five-year period immediately preceding his or her application for naturalization and up to the time of the Oath of Allegiance. Conduct prior to the five-year period may also impact whether the applicant meets the requirement. You should engage the services of an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with obtaining citizenship. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.