Houston, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I was denied a child name change because I was told that the father has not technically been identified as the father.

Although there is an active child support case however when it started 7 years ago he opted out of getting a dna test, but he is on the birth certificate. What can I do now to get it approved

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In general, you will need his agreement to the name change or you will have to go through the legal process for people who are not in agreement. That usual means serving him with the petition for the name change, setting a hearing for the name change, and giving him notice of the hearing.

You can research how to do all of this yourself or if you would feel more comfortable with a professional handling it you can hire an attorney to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.