Temple, TX asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Can my apartment complex not do needed repairs which affect my apartment?

6 yrs ago, my upstairs neighbors' kitchen sink , garbage disposal and dishwasher water kept coming up in my sink and finally flooded my apartment. They fixed it then but its doing it again now. The complex changed hands and I have been asking and even begged them a couple times since January 2021 for them to fix it. There is a rank smell from it as well. Is there any way to make them do repairs this time? They took the access cap off the pipe in January. The waste water and ground up food was pouring outside along my apartment and seeping inside. It is now mid June. I finally sent a certified letter requesting it and all they have done is have the carpet scrubbed where the waste water entered my living room via weep holes. How can I get them to fix this? I am 67 yrs old and have multiple health issues. Their maintenance man used a household snake on it, proclaimed it fixed and put the cap back on. Now it is coming up into my sink again and they will not respond to requests.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact the renters' council in Temple. If there is none, try the Travis County Renters' Council.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.