Suitland, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: Should I start the process of emancipation?

The reason why I ask this is that;

~ They have emotionally and mentally abused me

~ Refuse to help me when it comes to the subject of mental health

~ Have neglected me on multiple things, not just the basics

~ Are preventing me from working even though they have told me I need to

~ Refuse to listen to me about what I feel would help me

~ Have prioritized everything else but my needs

~ Taken my coping mechanisms, knowing I use them to, well, cope

~ Know that I rely on things to do certain things but take them anyway

And so much more... I'm willing to personally talk if needed to fix this, I just need help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Emancipation is a very personal thing and should not be taken lightly. There are certain barriers to emancipation such as the need to have a prior child custody case. If you are being abused and/or neglected and you are a minor, it is a good idea to reach out to your local Department of Social Services to seek their assistance with resolving your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.