Sparta, TN asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: What is the best resolution for a contractor not finishing the job?

If a contractor has done shoddy work and has not yet finished the job or fixed the issues - Can I bring them to small claims court? How long do I have to do so? Can I seek a refund on monies already paid? They have stopped returning my calls. They are also way past when they promised the work would be done per our contract.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes. You can file a claim in Tennessee's version of small claims court- called General Sessions Court. You would feel out a pleading called a Warrant. You can also report the contractor to the state licensing board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.