Euclid, OH asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Ohio

Q: Does a conviction under 21 U.S.C. §§ 843(a)(3) and 846 disqualify one from gun ownership?

In Case No. 1:12-CR-043(5) in the Southern District of Ohio, a plea agreement was accepted that in exchange for a guilty plea to the above charge, the Government would take no position on sentencing. An initial sentence of 6 months incarceration was vacated by the Sixth Circuit when the Government violated the terms of the plea agreement. Resentencing before a different district court judge resulted in a sentence of probation (successfully completed) and a $5,000 fine (fully paid). When it came to determining the total number of points against me vis-a-vis the sentencing guidelines, the pre-sentence investigation included history of a conviction in state court (which has since been vacated this year).

Does this conviction make me ineligible to be a gun owner? Is it considered a felony?

If so, could my gun rights only be restored via presidential pardon?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: That is a disabling conviction, yes. And under the current state of things, a pardon would be it. There is a law providing for application to the ATF for relief, but congress has never funded processing of such applications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.