Buena Park, CA asked in Family Law and Elder Law for California

Q: How do I get Power of Attorney over my mother's finances?

She is unable to pay her bills and refuses any type of help or to go to the doctor. I fear for her safety. Wellness checks from the Department of Public Safety in La Mirada have resulted in reports that state that she should not be alone. Home visits from SASSFA have stated that she is confused and should not be by herself. Her condition continues to deteriorate and the only people that she sees are the Meals on Wheels volunteers who deliver her food, even though she has not paid any of her Meals on Wheels bills since January.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
Jeffrey Louis Gaffney
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: She can grant you Power of Attorney if she has the capacity to.

It sounds like it might be too late for her to sign anything. In that case you have to get the court to grant you a conservatorship. It will require a form from her doctor plus a pile of papers, and an investigator will visit, and the court will appoint her an attorney that she will have to pay for. Then if the judge agrees then you can be appointed Conservator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.